OUTSIDE MY WINDOW WITH BIOLOGIST AND WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHER JUSEP MORENO IN NOTTINGHAM-EASTER SPECIAL


L'alumnat del Bernat Metge ha estat fent preguntes a Jusep Moreno, biòleg i fotògraf de natura català resident a Nottingham, durant aquest curs. És l'autor d'un llibre de fotografia sobre la fauna i flora al campus de la universitat de Nottingham: Wild Campus
Ell ens parla de primera mà de la vida a Anglaterra en aquest moment.
Jusep Moreno, a biologist and wildlife photographer from Campredó, Tarragona, is currently living in Nottingham. He would like to share his experience there and help us cheer up during this Covid-19 crisis.

 
Institut Bernat Metge (BM): Jusep, being Catalan, why did you choose to spell your name this way?
Jusep: When I was a kid, many teachers at school called me Josep, which is my actual  name, but they did so putting a very strong emphasis in the "o", and I didn't like that! I guess I felt a bit rebellious at the time, so I started writing it as I would like it to be pronounced. I don't mind it anymore, but now I use Jusep as my name for all things I do related to photography. However, if I write an article for the local paper, I will use Josep. 

BM: Jusep, we would like to know what the current situation in the UK is like now.
Jusep: The situation here is very similar to what is happening in Catalonia. We are also in lockdown and the streets are very quiet and empty. The good thing is that we are still allowed to leave the house to do exercise once a day, which I really appreciate. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to photograph rabbits or badgers. April is the time of the year when the badger cubs leave their setts (the homes they dig underground) and when rabbit kittens become active, so it's a shame I will probably missing all that. The view from my window is not particularly beautiful, but usually there is a wood pigeon that sits at the top of the big tree, on the right side. Who knows what he/she may be up to today?
BM: Does this situation and the measures taken affect people in their daily lives? What can't you do anymore?
Jusep:A lot, just like in other European countries. I have a part-time job at a library and I haven't been to work for two weeks now. Also, cinemas, restaurants, and local parks are closed to the public. I used to go to the gym -not as much as I'd like- but that is now closed; and I miss my bike rides to work and visiting my favourite cafe in the city.
BM How long have you been living in Nottingham? Why did you move to that city?
I came to Nottingham in September 2017, so I've been living here for over two and a half years. When I finished my degree in biology I had developed a keen interest in nature photography, and I wanted to try and pursue a career in that. I wasn't so interested in doing research and I enjoyed communicating with the general public and being a bridge between the scientific knowledge and public opinion. After long hours of research, I found a Masters in Biological Photography at the University of Nottingham.
BM. How did you go to England? Did the university give you a grant?
I organised everything by myself, with the support of my family. The University of Nottingham gave me a small grant, because of my academic record. I paid the rest with the money I got from working over the summer and also with the help of my parents. 
BM Are students required to have a good record to be given a grant?
Personally, I think the better your record, the higher the chances of obtaining grants or a place in the University you want to study. Some of the requirements I needed were a good average grade in my degree and a certified English level. Making an effort in your university studies and obtaining good grades can definitely make a difference and open doors to many opportunities.
BM What would you recommend our BM  students do while they are at home?
Jusep: There are so many things I would recommend... I think staying home all day can be extremely boring without some sort of structure, so what I would suggest is have some kind of timetable including time to study, leisure, time with the family...
Apart from doing that, I have also started growing some vegetables at home. So far I have leek, but I will try with red peppers soon. With leeks or onions, for example. All you need is to cut the bottom part of the vegetable and put it in a glass with some water - in three days you will see the roots growing out! If you have a phone or a camera, you could also take photos about your experience in isolation, the animals you can see from your window, etc. 
Outside my window, by Jusep Moreno. April 2020.
 
BM:  Finally, Jusep, what would you like to add to end this short interview?
Jusep: I just wanted to thank you all at Bernat Metge for inviting me to contribute, and to encourage all of you students to follow your passion and do what you want to do at a certain moment. Your life will probably take many turns, some of them unexpected, so enjoy the journey, keep learning and I hope good things will happen to you.
BM: Thank you Jusep. Let's hope we'll all be in the wild again! Let's have a look at your photos! 

Jusep's Instagram Jusep's Facebook